BLACK HISTORY MONTH TODAY AND TOMORROW
This is really a form of racism that is hardly ever challenged. When someone lies and says that a man of color (Hispanic, Asian or Black) is arrested and no evidence is available but the man is tried and found guilty anyway. The root of the issue is the color of his skin and the lack of a serious check and balance system that should clearly expose any injustice.
Read below about a young man that has decided not to be a spectator but is making changes. He is working closely with the Innocence Project to free men of color who were incarcerated in error.
Innocence Project /Human Rights Watch
One of the major issues civil rights issues of our time is the incarceration of disproportionate numbers of Black and Latino men (over 1 million of the current 2 million plus populating America’s prisons). The Innocence Project, co-founded by Attorney Peter Neufeld and Attorney Barry Scheck of “Trial of the Century Fame,” has been at the forefront of demanding DNA evidence be used to exonerate those wrongfully imprisoned. Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins, the only African American DA in the state of Texas was elected in 2007. Since then he’s partnered with the Innocence Project to overturn over 20 wrongful convictions. Alongside The Innocence Project, Human Rights Watch has brought necessary attention to U.S. policy regarding disproportionate targeting of Black men for long prison sentences. Its 2008 report, “Targeting Blacks,” documents racial disparities among drug offenders sent to prison.
- Black History Month: how the Democrats still enslave blacks (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Black History Is World History (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- Black history month. More than a 28-day list of factoids (altondrew.wordpress.com)
- Black History Month: Celebrating African-American female inventors (thegrio.com)
- Celebrate Black History Month With Noir A-Go Go! (prweb.com)
- Dallas County DA backs ‘Racial Justice Act’ (star-telegram.com)
- February Is Black History Month (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)